Sunday, December 03, 2006

Issue 60

News: Making crappy music better.
Recently, I read about singer/guitarist Richard Thompson doing a concert tour about english popular music from the 11th century ("Sumer is Icumen in", the song from The Wicker Man.) to the turn of the milennium (Britney Spears' "Oops I did it Again") and I managed to see some parts of the show on the internet including his rendition of "Oops, I did it Again", and the solo guitarist rendition improved it greatly in my opinion, and with it he joined the elite few (read: only Weird Al Yankovic) who made the crappy music of my preteen years sound better by changing the way the songs were performed. Afterwards, I came up with the idea of performing some of these songs in the solo vocal/guitar style (often putting allusions to better [in my opinion] songs in the arrangements) and putting them on an album. So far, I have not started work on it, or even made a track listing of the kinds of songs I would perform, but I feel I should include the aforementioned "Oops, I did it Again", in a very similar arrangement to Thompson's. The songs would most likely cover the era of 1998 to The second half of 2003. With this said, I must say I'm sure I can do better, with just my guitar and voice, than the original artists did their songs with full productions.

Band Name of the Day: Future Virgins of America. It's a classically oxymoronic phrase, related somewhat to Groucho Marx's quip "I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin."

Film Idea of the Day: The Last Words of Dutch Schultz. This must be one of the best screenplays I've ever read, and especially for one which hasn't even been produced yet, even if Dennis "Baby wants to **** Blue Velvet" Hopper owned the film rights for a brief moment of time. I may in fact be the one who does film it eventually.

Review of the Day: Letter to a Christian Nation. Author Sam Harris writes this surprisingly curt book in response to Fundementalist reactions to The End of Faith, his previous book, and he vents out his criticism of the Religious Right in the form of an open letter to them.

Quote of the Day: Cosmo: Talking pictures, that means I'm out of a job. At last I can start suffering and write that symphony
R.F.: You're not out of job, we're putting you in as head of our new music department.
Cosmo: Oh, thanks, R.F.! At last I can stop suffering and write that symphony.

Link of the Day: A strange music video of a singer from a small and fictional country trying out for eurovision.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home