Sunday, November 19, 2006

Issue 58

News: Chicago's future biggest theatre troupe.
I apologize for not having posted a new entry in two weeks, what with the Persuasive writing essay I had to take to get to Senior year and the Woody Allen project for Film class. Anyway, after coming to the new and Improved Chicago Historical society, I saw a brief feature on Chicago's biggest theatre troupes: The Lookingglass, Goodman, and Steppenwolf theatre troupes. From this exhibit came an idea for a theatre troupe based in Chicago which covers many different styles, ranging from Theatre of the Absurd to Greek Tragedy to Elizabethan theatre. Plays I would plan to make for the first season: Aeschylus' The Persians, which is the earliest play known to exist today, Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice, which was said to be the first play to have been performed in the Americas, Tom Taylor's Our American Cousin, which everybody knows about as the play that Abe Lincoln was watching when he was killed, but very few people have ever seen or read in any form, Beckett's Waiting For Godot, which is a classic of Theatre of the Absurd, and a double feature of Edward Albee's Zoo Story and my
play Wot??!!&,:;%${}, which I wrote about in Issue 30 this February. There will be (or at least, I intend for there to be) other seasons of the theatre, but the plays I would put out for them remain to be seen.

Band NAme of the Day: Bible-God. A term I found used on the page I will link to today.

Film IDea of the Day: Filmed/Taped/DVD'd versions of the plays I would put on for the aforementioned theatre.

Film Review of the Day: Teahouse of the August Moon. I recently saw this film about life on post-war Okinawa and its effect on an American Soldier sent to build schools, and turns native (in a much more civilized way than one would expect). Curiously, Marlon Brando manages to do a dead-on Gedde Watanabe impression in his role even before Gedde Watanabe was even born.

Quote of the Day :"By the Power of Mencia! I don't have to wear pants anymore!"
____________The King of Mexico after turning into a giant worm, Drawn Together.

Link of the Day: A Deistic page about the religion (or lack thereof) of the Founding Fathers.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home