Thursday, October 26, 2006

Issue 56

News: My republishing of the King James Bible.
A few Issues back, I announced my intention to read the entire King James Bible and I got as far as Leviticus, but then I realized that instead of writing an essay about what I found in the Bible, It would make more sense to make a version of the Bible which incorporates my views in footnotes for short remarks and boxes of text for longer rants, as most youth study bibles do. This may be similar to the online Skeptics Annotated Bible, which I admire as a religious website, but unlike them, and indeed most other copies of the KJV, I intend to add the apocrypha, the dedication to King James himself (which is usually only in the British editions), and the Introduction by the translators about the translation (Which has rarely been republished since 1611), as well as an introduction by me about why I had written what I had written and why I had used the King James Bible as opposed to, say, the NIV (Because among other reasons, the KJV isn't still copywrighted [except in the UK] and the NIV is, and that people tend not to believe that the NIV is the literal word of God as the fine folks at Chick Publications do to the KJV). Of course, while the KJV is in the Public Domain in 99% of the world (The USA included), it is still protected by copywright after 400 years in Britain, so people there will most likely have to rely on imports unless I can somehow make the Cambridge University Press (The KJV's only royally sanctioned printer in the UK) relent into publishing.

Band Name: Servant David. It comes from Chapter 33 of Thomas Hardy's The Mayor of Casterbridge where the titular character forces a choir in the church he is in to sing Psalm 109:10-15 (One of the best-kept secrets of the normally docile Poetry segments of the Bible) and one of the members of the choir says "Twasn’t made for singing. We chose it once when the gypsy stole the parson’s mare, thinking to please him, but parson were quite upset. Whatever Servant David were thinking about when he made a Psalm that nobody can sing without disgracing himself, I can’t fathom."

Film Idea of the Day: No real film Idea today, but if somebody actually intends to make a film version of The Scarlet Letter and actually wants to get it right this time, here is my prospective cast list of three of the four main characters (Pearl should be played by one [or several, as the novel covers 7 years of their lives] unknown):
Hester- Eva Amurri (Saved!)
Chillingworth-Robbie Coltrane (Harry Potter)
Dimmesdale- Brad Dourif (Lord of the Rings, but for a better film see Wise Blood if you can.)

Film Review: A Man Called Peter. I recently saw this film about the scottish presbyterian minister-turned US Senate Chaplain Peter Marshall and was impressed by its touching portrayal of the minister, especially for a film where the main character gives a 5-minute sermon for every 10 minutes of film. Also of note, Ann B. Davis (aka Alice from The Brady Bunch) makes a brief appearance in the film and I was amazed that she had done other work outside the franchise. Anyway, for a film about a Mainline minister, it is very impressive.

Quote of the Day: "Fooled you, didn't I? You really thought I had it."
_______Charlie Bucket, Willy Wonka. This also comes from a recurring dream where I re-enact the "Tongues" scene from Saved! on a taping of The 700 Club.

Link of the Day: Crossroads of Booger County: A Webcomic about life, and love in a small Arkansas Town.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home