Sunday, October 16, 2005

Originally Written 25 September 2005

News: Something eventful happened in the Library recently. As you may or may not know or have not guessed from the severe diversity of my Movie Reviews, I view a large variety of 10 movies every week. 5 on DVD and 5 on VHS. On September 17, I checked out 5 films on DVD as usual. They were Barbershop, 32 Short Films about Glenn Gould, Shine, The unforgiven (the 1960 Audie Murphy film, not the 1993 Chint Eastwood Best picture-winner), and First Knight. One Week later, I returned them, as per usual, but found out 45 minutes later that First Knight was not in its case. Well, I tore the house apart on two seperate occasions trying to find it and Both times I came up blank. Then, I realized the DVD must be in one of the cases of the other four films. Well, Sunday, my Dad and I went to the library and checked out each DVD again, save First Knight, Although I managed to find out every single DVD while my dad managed to try to locate Shine unsuccessfully until I found the case staring me in the face, and that was the case that First Knight had been in all along. And now upon retrospect, I wish I had intenionally switched Shine and the Glenn Gould DVDs.

Band name of the day: The Lazy Eyes of Dying. This comes from a mondegreen from the song "Die sonne" from Rammstein. http://www.sheezyart.com/full/250983/

Film Idea of the Day: Down and Out in New York. This is a documentary-style film that has me traveling from a Philedelphia train Station to New York's Penn Station all the way to Central Park's Carousel, as described in The Catcher in The Rye, which I will quote liberally, and as we all know is, hands down, my favorite book, and a book I plan on adapting into a television miniseries (a feat usually reserved for books at least twice its length.) I plan on creating this film as either a proof of Concept film for Salinger, (like the "The Customer is Always Right" section of the film "Sin City" ) or as a consolation prize for me not being able to film the actual book.

Review of the day: Badlands, Terence Malick's Debut film, folloes the misadventures of Kit and Holly (Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek), two teens who go on the run after Kit kills Holly's dad and burns her house down. Beautifully scored and photographed, by Carl Orff and Tak Fujimoto, respectively, this re-imagining of the story of Charles Starkweather and Caril Ann Fugate excels in every aspect.

Quote of the Day: "Wanted: friendly, companionably reclusive, socially unacceptable, alcoholically abstemious, tirelessly talkative, zealously unzealous, spiritually intense, minimally turquoise, maximally ecstatic moon, seeks moth or moths with similar qualities for purposes of telephonic seduction, Tristanesque trip-taking, and permanent flame-fluttering, no photos required, financial status immaterial, all ages and non-competitive vocations considered, applicants should furnish sets of sample conversation with notarized certification of marital disinclination, references re: low decibel vocal consistency, itinerary and sample receipts from previous successfully completed out-of-town moth flights, all submissions treated confidentially... "
_______________________Glenn Gould, from a personal ad he may or may not have filed. (film #23 in the 32 short films about Glenn Gould)

Link of the day: www.baronvonbrunk.com
This site is the "Best Web Page in The Universe" ripoff of a man who claims to be a photoshop addicted Amish who rants frequently.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home