Saturday, August 07, 2010

Issue 180

News: The path of life is most uncertain...
I'm sorry that I haven't been posting more often, and not sticking to my three times a week schedule, but at this point, I'm not even sure whether I'll be able to post even twice a month at this point. And, I have to admit that my computer is the main reason for that. As I mentioned earlier, I sent it to Dell for repairs, but it turned out that there was one major problem they didn't fix: my AC jack had suddenly decided to work only at random times. There is little rhyme or reason as to when it works and when it doesn't. For instance, the first time I had to recharge the battery today, it took several tries before I was able to get it to charge, and I had to get it to lie flat with the screen parallel to my mattress, the bottom part propped up by a pillow. Amazingly, not only did it keep charging when I removed the pillow, I have not so far had any other problems getting the laptop to charge. And while the touchpad is not as sensitive as it once was, there is occasionally the opposite problem: it suddenly stops working completely. The cursor won't move and the buttons won't click. I told Dad about it and I hope he rectified the problem. Another, even more major problem is that, at least for a while, it seems as though the internet server downstairs just stopped working, but, as you may have noticed, Dad also helped to rectify that problem, and let's just hope that it works. Of course, perhaps all of these problems will work themselves out, and it's just my worry wart that's keeping me from updating pages. I really hope I'm wrong and I am able to post thrice this month, and in the future.

Film Review of the Day: Hot Fuzz. I recently got into this movie, primarily due the fact that I discovered that Doug Walker, aka The Nostalgia Critic, considers it to be, at least to him, the funniest movie of all time. In essence, it's a parody of the many "Buddy Cop" movies from the 1980s on, but with two differences: 1) It's British (which I think almost automatically puts it on a higher level of humor than American movies, since), and 2) The makers of the movie not only have established that they know their stuff not only about cop movies (unfortunately, even some parodists don't even seem to know the difference between parodying a movie, and just mentioning it; I'm talking to you, Seltzer and Friedberg), but they also know a lot about actual police officers in the flesh world, and inserted a lot of actual mannerisms of police officers into their by-the-book cop character Nick Angel, and that even some things that you'd think were just jokes were actually inspired by actual police officers.

Quote of the Day: "Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no-holds-barred, adrenaline-fueled thrill ride. But there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork. "
_____________Nick Angel, Hot Fuzz.

Link of the Day: Surprisingly, there appears to have been a new series on TGWTG, where one of the gamers actually reviews some old, ultra-violent British Public Information Films (the British versions of PSAs, but often longer, and frequently more horrifying.) I'm not sure what's worse, that the Brits thought it was a good idea to create a Saw-like movie about kids dying on farms or that the reviewer seemed to see fit to remind me of how I've been driven into the internet trainwreck that is Sonichu [about 1:58 in]

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home