Saturday, April 03, 2010

Issue 171

News: Why no Update?
Well, I haven't told anybody about this, but I resolved last New Year's to update the blog at least three times a month. However, I haven't been living up to this resolution, and I think it's necessary to tell you why: Two weeks ago, I broke my tooth on, of all things, a chicken nugget. Of course, it wasn't an actual tooth; more of a reconstruction of a tooth that I broke eight years ago. However, before I could get that replaced, I had to have a root canal a week and a half later. Of course, between the nitrous, my listening to Love's Forever Changes [notice to anybody who doesn't want to talk about it: every song on the album is on YouTube, currently playlisted by somebody named sixties4ever13], and the fact that the tooth's pulp was dead, it was actually somewhat pleasant. On Tuesday, I'll be getting a temporary cap, and a permanent cap will soon follow. However, there's also another thing complicating matters considerably: For speech class, I have been working on a group project, and getting everybody together to film it has been a logistical nightmare. Fortunately, there should be enough material to mine several ideas for future issues to come.

Film Idea of the Day: "God Hardened Pharoah's Heart" I'm thinking about an alternative History about what could have happened after Hiroshima. It begins with a plot to assassinate Hirohito to stop him from surrendering. This leads to operation Downfall coming into play. From what I'd heard, the plan was, in essence, to drop seven A-Bombs simultaneously, and then, a few days later (possibly as early as 48 hours after), to have Allied infantry invade Japan without any protection from radiation to kill as many survivors as possible until surrender. The movie itself involves several soldiers trying to survive in the radioactive wasteland that was formerly Japan, trying to kill Japanese combatants, only to die themselves of radiation sickness.

Film Review of the Day: African Queen. As a longtime fan of Humphrey Bogart, and DVD collector, I was surprised that only now was this movie, the only movie for which Bogie won an Oscar, getting a DVD release. I admit that it may not be on par with a lot of his movies, like Maltese Falcon, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, or Casablanca, but it's still a good movie, even if, after the restoration, the cinematography was really not as good as an Oscar-winning Golden Age Hollywood Technicolor movie deserves to be.

Quote of the Day: "Let all the world witness how many different means Fortune employs when she wishes to destroy a man."
__________Benvenuto Cellini, sculptor, memoirist, and first recorded serial killer.

Link of the Day: Nothing this week.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home