Saturday, July 24, 2010

Issue 179

News: Explanations, and my newest guitar.
I really wish I had been keeping up with my resolution to make three posts a month for this blog, but there've been problems, and let me tell you, my tooth drama has long since been resolved. However, there have been some major problems with my laptop that have necessitated that it be sent to the manufacturer to have much of the hardware (except, apparently, for the hard drive) replaced. The problems have, among other things, included the touchpad being messed up so that, if I so much as pass over a hyperlink, the cursor clicks on it. In addition, when posting something like this, the bar keeps jumping around, making it impossible to post. Fortunately, I sent it before going on a two-week vacation. And now, I've got my old backup laptop to use, and it seems to be working normally, at least for now, and now that the cottages I'm staying in have managed to get Wi-Fi (even if it is especially spotty, particularly in the afternoons), I can write and even post my blog entries from my bedroom.
In addition, I'd like to talk to you about Feckslayer, a guitar from a dimension where all screamed for naught, wrought from the silver heart of heaven's false promise, laced with vessels that pulsed with angel's menstrual blood, hewn from the horns of Satan's generals. Seriously, it is a Gibson SG-style guitar from a kit manufactured by Saga. My dad suggested that, as a project for the summer, we should build a guitar, and, we eventually settled on the SG kit (we had a choice of Stratocaster, Les Paul, Telecaster, SG, and Flying V-style kits), and, as it turned out, it seems that the most difficult part of making the guitar was putting the paint on it. And, yes, between the need to let the paint cure before applying gloss, sanding out rough spots, having to refinish where we sanded too much, and finding out that, somehow, rubbing off the excess of wet paint where we oversprayed will also rub off every previous layer of paint, painting it was quite difficult so we decided to leave that job to the professionals at a car refinishing center, and they did a better job in a few hours than we did in a few weeks. And, surprisingly, putting the parts on, even the bigsby I used to replace the old tailpiece. After putting the finishing touches on a few days later (putting "F-slayer" and a rampant lion on the headstock), it was finished. It looks pretty badass and one imagines that it would be the sort of guitar that Daniel Plainview would play if they had electric guitars in the turn of the century.

Film Review of the Day: Toy Story 3. Well, all I can say about this movie is that it's pretty good, but astonishingly dramatic for a kid's movie. I must warn you that if you haven't seem Toy Story 1 and 2, you will most likely be lost, but if you have, you will cry. It is, in essence, a tale of growing up told from the perspective of Andy's toys. There are a few issues I have with the film, some of which involve the fact that it's amazingly dark for a G-rated film, particularly in the incinerator scene, although, to be fair, it seems mostly for those who saw the first two the first time they were in cinemas, and it's pretty strange when you consider that at the daycare center where they go, apart from the occasional adult at the beginning of the scenes, the bulk of the film implies that the adults have little control of the center, and there's one thing which bothered me about the series in general, but comes to the forefront in this film: that the toys don't even flinch when they're being torn apart by the kids in the Caterpillar Room, apparently only feeling it when the kids are out of the room. I wonder if, with all the thought that Pixar puts into their characters, they've ever explained how this works.

Quote/Link of the Day: Folks, I've read Thirty H's, I've read Maldoror, I've read Light and Dark: The adventures of Dark Yagami, I've read the Naked Lunch, and I've even read some excerpts of the 120 Days of Sodom. But somehow, it came to pass that this article by Pat Boone qualifies as one of the most deranged things I've read.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home