Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Issue 151

News: Licensed Parenthood.
Honestly, the more I hear about child abuse in the media, the more I think that it should be mandatory for anybody who wants to raise a child to have a license to do so. Here is a plan that I have for this: SImply, any couple, or single parent who wants to adopt or raise a child would have to take a test to see how fit they are to raise a child, and if they fail to pass muster, they wouldn't be allowed to raise children. If they do, in fact, have a child, despite having failed the parenthood test the last time they took it, what would happen to the child is simply this: it would be given to a couple who has passed the test. There would likely need to be no penalties for the parents (maybe a "slap on the wrist" fine), but I think that having a child taken away because of their negligence would likely be enough. Indeed, the way I see it, everybody would win. Potentially abusive parents would not have children, so the children benefit, and, in addition, as a result of this, domestic adoption businesses would have much more business and likely be much more solvent than they have in decades.

Band Name of the Day: The The Orchestra. See Below.

Film Idea of the Day: Untitled. The plot: two stoners discover that their dealer has discovered a new strain of Marijuana that is so rare that they have to get it from a time vortex from the 1930s (anybody who's seen Reefer Madness and compared the effects of marijuana there with a later film should notice the joke.) Once there, they end up having adventures in Hollywood trying to find it, while being followed by another set of time travellers; the world's largest rock band, a 30-some piece band called "THe The Orchestra."

Film review of the Day: Walker. In keeping with my increasing interest in the latter-day western, I recently rented this movie. It was supposedly so poorly recieved that not only has it not received much of a home video release since its original release 20 years ago, but it actually got the director "Blacklisted" from Hollywood productions. Of course, in hindsight, even though I was not as immersed on the Nicaraguan Civil War that this movie was indirectly commenting upon as the original audience would have been, I actually found this movie to be very interesting. I suppose my background in Brechtian technique actually helped me, especially with its increasingly obvious anachronisms. I would reccomend that anybody who watches this movie not only get some information on America's involvement with the Contras (for background on the allegory), and read Brecht's Mother Courage (for the technique).

Quote of the Day: "When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."
________Lewis Carroll

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home