Monday, October 29, 2007

Issue 100

News: The Famous "A Hard Day's Night" chord revealed! Warning: Guitar geekery ahead.
As you may see, this marks Honorificabilitudinitatibus Be S-Y-What's hundredth issue. As you may have inferred from other posts, I am a guitarist and Beatles fan. This essay will encompass both topics. Around the time between the previous issue's posting and right now, I learned that the chord I had been using for the famous opening chord of "A Hard Day's Night" was far from close to the real chord. I had assumed that that famous chord was a Fadd9 (Notes: F A C G), as George had stated once in an online chat before his death. However, there was more to it than that, as I would soon figure out. Not only was Paul's bass note not part of the notes in the chord (it was a D [12th fret, second string]), but also George Martin's piano plays part of a G chord (without the B note). This gives the notes: D2, G2, D3, F3, A3, C4, G4. And, of course, George's guitar was a 12-string, so F4 and A4 should be added. In my spare time, I managed to find five candidates for a one-guitar equivalent to the chord with those notes in mind. With them in mind, I noticed that virtually every time, the chord which had the closest proximity to the chord was one which I would later call G9sus4. The fingering is actually surprisingly simple: All strings are on the third fret, except for the Third string, which is fretted on the second fret. Something I noticed is that with a greater number of strings (ie 7, 12, and even 14-string models, the final one of which doesn't even exist in a production model), the closer that the chord came to that famous chord. So, let the busker's choice chord become replaced!

Band Name of the Day: Pierce v. Pierce. From a famous fictional law firm in a famous movie.

Film idea of the Day: A journalist comes into a small town where a group of goths have been arrested for a murder which they haven't committed, and gets sucked into a web of intrigue that the entire town is involved in about those murders.

Film Review of the Day: American Psycho. The antics of Patrick Bateman, a high-powered yuppie lawyer who may or may not be a serial killer. The movie required a second viewing for me to truly get the satire of consumerism behind the frequent violence, and even after this, I'm not even sure whether Patrick's crimes are supposed to have actually happened or are merely his own overactive imagination trying to break free of his life.

Quote of the Day: "Everyone thinks I'm a liar! Well I'm a lot of things, I'm an astronaut, I'm a basketball player...... I'm even the President of the Universe, but I'm not a liar."
________________Captian Hero, Drawn Together.

Link of the Day: What may/will be The best Five seconds of your day.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home