Monday, August 13, 2007

Issue 90

News: Kenny G's New Day job.
As anybody who has read enough into the archives fo the blog can tell, I like Jazz. Not "smooth Jazz", but real Jazz. One smooth Jazz musician who particularly rouses my ire is Kenny G., who for many other people, epitomizes everything wrong with "smooth jazz", particularly because it manages to go far from its heritage in as mediocre of a direction as possible. In fact, at least two guitarists have leveled scathing criticisms of him: Pat MEtheny, in the form of an interview, and Richard Thompson, in the form of a song entitled, appropriately enough, "I Agree With Pat Metheny, Kenny's Talents Are Too Teeny", which he plays in concert, but has yet to put to record. With this in mind, I have come up with a new plan for his life: he will become a Kabaddi player. In case you are the 99.9% of readers who don't know what kabaddi is, I will tell you what it is and why G would be perfect for it. The object of the game is a larger-scale version of Tag, where a "raider" is sent out to tag members of the other team. However, from the time the raider is sent out to the time he comes back, he must take only one breath, chanting the name of the sport throughout the entire breath. This is where Kenny G comes in: He is well known for having once held a note on his saxophone for a whopping 48 minutes. If he can do that, he can certainly continuously chant "Kabaddi" for the same time (maybe even longer) in a game which lasts roughly 40 minutes.

Band Name of the Day: Scott Pine and the Conifers. From a Monty Python skit about a skit about an all-tree talk show.

Reviews of the Day: Rent. I recently rented this film before I went to Door County, and I must say that I liked it enough to have watched it twice before I returned it. I'm not sure exactly what appealed to me about it, but then again, if I liked A Man Called Peter (which is even less likely to have appealed to me), I guess it's best to say de gustibus.
Hannibal Rising. I finally got the DVD of the film a week or so ago, and while many fans of the Hannibal Lecter series hated the film, I felt that it developed the character of Hannibal more than any of the other books and films.

Quote of the Day: -Do You Think God intended to Eat Isaac?
-No. The angel interferes in time.
-Not Always.
_______Hannibal and Lady Murasaki Lecter, from "Hannibal Rising."

Link of the Day: The aforementioned Kenny G bashing interview.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home