Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Issue 140

News: Barack and Beethoven?
Recently, around last week, I got two things that I've wanted for a long time: One of them is a copy of Herbert von Karajan's 1963 cycle of Beethoven's symphonies (as heard in A Clockwork Orange), which I've only wanted for about a year or two, and something I've wanted ever since George W. Bush took power (I will not say "got elected," because that implies he achieved power from a mandate of the masses, which his first election clearly wasn't), and that is a president who intends to keep America from going on the same path to ruin it has been taking since 2001. In the latter case, I am, of course, talking about Barack Obama. For as long as I've known that he actually had some sort of chance, I have supported him. I may not have mentioned him much in the past 24 months, but I can only state that I have supported him all the way. I can't quite say that I agree with him so much that my only disagreements with him are in what car to drive (to paraphrase Ted "the Elephant Preacher" Haggard), but still I am sure that there is no way whatsoever that he can do as bad as Bush has, even if it turned out that he was really "The Smiler" from Transmetropolitan, which is, of course, impossible. So what if some people still think he's a muslim? What would even make a muslim less qualified to run this country than somebody who seems to run the world based around the idea that Jesus is coming soon, so we should immanetize the eschaton and make the world worse to ensure he comes back? This is supposed to be a happy occasion, one marked by a day when we can finally celebrate the day when 55% of us decided that the way things were happening in 2008 shouldn't go on any longer, and, for the first time in a long time, Americans can finally actually hear the words to Beethoven's Ode To Joy (at least in Translation), and upon reading the lyrics in translation, can actually appreciate them as freedom actually isn't in Jeopardy. Of course, I'm probably romanticising this too much, but this is certainly very good news, to say the least.

Band Name of the Day: Bam Bam Aram. From the parody of The Beach Boys' "Barbara Ann" contained in the movie Surf Ninjas, reviewed in the link below.

Film Idea of the Day: I am seriously considering ways that Nabokov's seemingly unfilmable novel "Pale Fire" can be made into a film. Here's my idea for the film: the movie is done as a mockumentary about the poet John Shade, who will be played by the same person who plays Charles Kinbote. As the annotations in the original book end up turning away from the poem, the film should end up focusing less on Shade and more on Kinbote's claims.

Film Review of the Day: The Brave One. Simply put, Jodie Foster ends up becoming Bernie Goetz and actually gets away with it. As simplistic as my description was, I still must say that the movie was pretty well done. Considering that I like both the star (Foster) and the director (Neil Jordan), this is much what I expected.

Quote of the Day:
"A conservative and a liberal are walking along the beach when they see a man drowning a hundred feet off shore. The conservative throws him a 50 foot rope and shouts to the victim "You provide the other fifty feet." The liberal throws the man a 200 foot rope...and lets go of both ends."
__________Anonymous. Why Andrew Schlafy decided that this would be a good "Conservative Parable" when it denigrates both liberals and conservatives is beyond me.

Link Of the Day: That Guy With The Glasses. He reviews bad movies, and condenses good movies, with a little help from his friends.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home