Thursday, January 08, 2009

Issue 138

News: Scientology: Another
I avoid celebrity gossip like the plague. I find no point in listening to or reading people gossiping about famous people and the things that photographers catch them doing, and for more on this view, watch the South Park episode "Britney's New Look." However, the recent death of John Travolta's son Jett has raised some particular interest in me. Apparently, Jett Travolta had a long history of seizures and eventually died of them. In many cases, medication would help them, but Scientology basically forbids its followers from taking medication when it treats any sort of mental illness, even if not taking it could mean their death. As it turns out, Scientology is probably one of the most messed up religions in America today, and this includes fundamentalist Christianity. If it actually held any real political power, or any power outside of Hollywood, I would have to say it is the most messed up. Basically, what you have is a church created by an unsuccessful Sci-Fi writer who decided that he could probably get more success as the founder of a religion. Why couldn't a better Sci-fi writer, like Robert Heinlein, have created his own religion? At least, if the viewpoints in Stranger in a Strange Land, and Job : A Comedy of Justice, are any indication, I would probably be more sympathetic (especially if we disregarded the militaristic propaganda that is Starship Troopers.) One last thing about Scientology that I'll tell you about that I find very fundamentally wrong is the Church's insistence on spoon-feeding the doctrine in small steps, and discouraging people from actually going over it themselves. Any organization which does not support independent research into it, I say is not worthy of trust, and certainly not the devotion that religion tends to demand.

Band Name of the Day: Eggo/Preggo. From Juno. Of course, the owners of the Eggo name might sue, but it's worth a try.

Film Idea of the Day: Ashley. The story is basically a very dark modern-day version of Cinderella. Some aspects I might share with you about how I will change it: It takes place in Wilmette, The protagonist's Fairy godmother is a large drug dealer with butterfly-style wings, and the ending, while good for her, does not end so happily ever after for her step-family.

Film Review of the Day: Valkyrie. In my last entry, I mentioned this film as a movie I wished I had seen in the last year. Fortunately, I saw the movie last week, and I am quite impressed. It was certainly quite an accurate depiction of the plot to kill Hitler, at least from what I've heard.

Quote of the Day: "You can serve Germany, or the Fuehrer. Not both!"
_______________Claus von Stauffenberg, Valkyrie.

Link of the Day: Just one of many websites devoted to criticism of Scientology.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home