Saturday, April 19, 2008

Issue 118

News: Wot??!!&,:;%${} has been accepted for performance... almost.
In Issue 30 (Feb 20, 2006), I announced that I finished writing a play in the vein of Becket entitled Wot??!!&,:;%${} (pronounced simply "What"). I originally wrote it for my school's previous drama teacher, who apparently no longer has his job, despite still hanging around the school occasionally, which is actually a more common thing than one may expect for a high school. Anyway, the original teacher liked the play, but thought there was one flaw with the play: it would very likely go way over the heads of the audience. But a few years have passed, and after adding a few more Monty Python refs, including a spoof of the "Get on with it" scene from Holy Grail, and, most importantly, a new drama teacher, this new teacher actually loves the play. As a matter of fact, she said that if she had been given the play earlier, she would have decided to perform the play, instead of the usual slew of shorter one-act plays, and better yet, would have allowed me to direct the play myself to bring my vision to the stage in what may be the most public exhibition of my work in fiction since I had the treatment for my film about the lesbian schoolgirls read aloud in class (the two short stories I had published in the school's literary magazine and the one pending publication notwithstanding). Of course, I had to get it to her after she finalized the one-act performances. Oh, well. At this rate, the play will most likely get its first performance when I'm at Oakton.

Band Name/Film Idea of the Day: H*R*M*N*Y. It is going to be about the misadventures of a boy band named with the above title. After the five members of the band (Harry, Ronnie, Mark, Nicky, and CjaY) were discovered auditioning for American Idol, a talent scout discovered them standing next to each other in line, and without first knowing whether they had any actual talent, signed them up. The show itself focuses on their misadventures touring and recording the follow-up to their platinum-selling eponymous debut album, as well as their often antisocial behavior, particularly from Harry, a Chickian fundamentalist, and CJay, whose voice provides the low end and whose personality is best described as a combination between Patrick Bateman and any boy band singer, who often hints at committing several crimes, and is also recording a Rain Dogs-like solo album.

Film Review of the Day: The Royal Tenenbaums. As you may know, J.D. Salinger has become famous for not allowing his work to be transferred to the silver screen, a fact which has not prevented me from writing out a screenplay based upon The Catcher in the Rye. Even the two facts that this movie is probably the closest thing we have to a film adaptation of his Glass Family stories, with its focus upon the dysfunctional family life of a family full of child prodigies, and its soundtrack, one of the best I've ever heard in a film, are enough reasons for me to encourage you, the reader, to buy it or rent it.

Quote of the Day: The quote is in this video. Believe it or not, I've actually had conversations with my dad like this one.

Link of the Day: This is the first example of a prose fanfic (as opposed to a rehash of the visuals with new dialogue) based upon a Chick Tract I have ever come across. Quite possibly, this may be the only example.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home