Sunday, November 29, 2009

Issue 160

News/Film Idea of the Day: What to Call the New Flu?
Well, as it turns out, my mother has had the Mexican Flu for a few weeks, and this happened around the same time I got my nasal vaccine for it. Allright, enough about the family life, what is this Mexican Flu, Derek? Well, let me explain, as I have had to do several times before. It is what I call the recent flu Pandemic, which many people have called the H1N1 flu or the Swine flu. Here I will explain, from my background of researching previous flu pandemics for my unfinished update of The Seventh Seal, why I think that the two popular names of the flu pandemic are imprecise and insufficient. Swine Flu first: Well, the reason is twofold, the first of these is that the disease is not the same strain of H1N1 found in pigs, nor has it been transmitted through pigs, despite the misinformation which came out at the start of the pandemic. The second reason I find the term "Swine Flu" inappropriate is that there was already an outbreak of actual swine flu in 1976. Fortunately, it was contained within Fort Dix, but that didn't stop a public panic about preventing the disease which ultimately led to a vaccine which ultimately killed more people than the flu itself. So, it's probably too soon to reuse the name on an outbreak that isn't even swine flu! Now, H1N1, the disease is certainly of that strain of influenza, but my problem with that name is that there have are actually several different strains of H1N1, including the 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic that will be the centerpiece of the update. However, I ultimately decided on the name "Mexican Flu" primarily because it was first discovered in Mexico, and so, with what I mentioned in mind, I suppose it would make more sense to call it "the Mexican Flu" than H1N1 or Swine Flu.

Band Name of the Day: Discontinued until further Notice.

Film Review of the Day: Singing Detective. By this point, I think it's safe to say that this TV miniseries is likely the pinnacle of British Dramatic Television series. The series switches between the present, where detective author Philip Marlow (No relation to Raymond Chandler's private eye) is undergoing treatment for psoriasis and some psychiatric treatment to help him along, his unproduced screenplay, the Singing Detective, whose protagonist has the same name as its author, and his own childhood, and especially the increasingly blurry line between the three, complete with several musical numbers from the 1940s being performed by nurses in the 1980s.

Quote of the Day: "I've not seriously doubted since that afternoon that any lie will receive almost instant corroboration, and almost instant collaboration, if the maintenance of it results in the public enjoyment of someone else's pain, someone else's humiliation."
_______Philip Marlow.

Link of the Day: The rantings of an psychotic Slovenian New York lawyer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home