Sunday, June 04, 2006

Isue 41

News: Smooth Jazz is a Misnomer.
One would think that in a city of 2 million there would be a single jazz station, but not in Chicago, although there is a "Smooth Jazz" channel (WNUA 95.5), and once in a blue moon there will be an actual jazz tune on the station (Saturdays from 7-9 AM), but all the other times, there will be a "Smooth jazz" song, which I believe is not truly any sort of Jazz at all, but repackaged R&B music arbitrarily called "Smooth Jazz". Many of the vocal songs can also be heard on other stations that do not call themselves "Smooth Jazz", and one song in particular, "Peg" by Steely Dan is in frequent rotation on both the "Jazz" station and Classic Rock stations. I can abide fusion, especially Miles Davis' Works with John McLaughin because it blends two genres I like, but "Smooth Jazz" is supposedly mixing Jazz and R&B, the latter genre I don't care for, but the Jazz influence is lost to me unless it is supposed to be the instrumental songs and use of the saxophone, but because it calls itself jazz with no real legitimacy, it joins the pantheon of genres of Music I don't care for.

Band Name: Mrkrgnao. James Joyce's unique onomotopaeia for a cat's meow.

Film Review: The Poseidon Adventure. With it being remade twice in 12 months, I felt it would be a good time to revisit the original movie, but first, I would like to point out that despite what many people have claimed, there was no silent version, much less one played on The Titanic. I must say that for a disaster movie (I usually prefer artsy movies), this movie was surprisingly Good. One of the more memorable scenes is where Jack Albertson (forever known as Grandpa Joe from Willy Wonka), encourages his wife (played by Lolita's Shelley Winters) to swim for her safety, as well as one scene near the end with Gene Hackman.

Film Idea: A man travels across his hometown on one day, August 1, 1981 (The first day of MTV, before it got into watered down music)

Quote: "Ha-ha! If I spoke prose, you'd all find out, I don't know what I talk about!"
_______________J. Hillary Boob, Yellow Submarine.

Link of the day: Some All your Base Songs.

Quote:

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home