Sunday, March 19, 2006

Issue 33

News: You support Affirmative Action? I never Knew you were a racist.
When do you think that Affirmative Action was first thought up with? The mid 60s? WRONG!! The truth is that Affirmative Action has always been around in America, although most of it is referred to now as "Discrimination." For most of America's history, most businesses favored White Heterosexual able-bodied men. This is, of course, discrimination. Come the Civil Rights movement, Minorities saw this and were not pleased and thought they should "Switch places" when they get jobs so that they were more likely to get jobs. Quite frankly, this makes about as much sense as saying that slavery was wrong because only Africans were slaves and that if it were the White men who were enslaved, it would be alright. In reality slavery was wrong because it is wrong to make another work for no money whatsoever. Another reason I do not agree with Affirmative action is because there should only be one kind of Discrimination in job application, and that is whether the applicant actually is qualified to do the job required of him/her. There is no reason that a business should hire the next x number of minorities, regardless of whether they qualify for the jobs they are applying for, just because the government tells them so. A current event that is sweeping colleges across the country is Affirmative Action bake sales, which sell baked goods for rates which vary depending on the buyer's sex and race. And no discussion about affirmative action in schools would be complete without my own discussion of my brush with Affirmative action. Late in my Grade Schoo Years, my class was told to take a Mathematics test and that the top five scorers in my class would go to a Mathematics bowl. I scored a 30 out of a possible 40 points, the highest in my class. Did I go to the Mathematics Bowl? NO!! I was told that I was not going there so the teacher could let her daughter, who scored average, if not very low on the test, perform in my stead. This concludes this discussion.

Band Name of the Day: Avril Seppuku. The name comes from this game I play wherein I listen to Avril Lavigne's song "Sk8er Boi" for as long as I can take it. My personal record is halfway through the second verse.

Film IDea: A traveling production of Inherit the Wind, which I saw at the Field Museum earlier today, gets ready for a trip to the Bible Belt, where it is met with much opposition. Christopher Guest Mockumentary style.

Review of the Day: Diabolical Cucumbers: The story of how the Beatles defeat many famous boy bands. It is very funny, especially for a Beatle fan and a hater of a lot of today's music. It is at www.angelfire.com/nc2/random3/Diabolical_cucumbers/DC.html

Quote of the day: “HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
--Pokey the Penguin, “Welcome to Rum Island”

"In Meat-Space, Everybody is your Friend!"
--Pokey the Penguin, "Pokey and Meatspace"

Link of the Day: The site of the Aforementioned Pokey the Penguin.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home